Skip to content

Morgan's Grove Park

Morgan’s Grove Park is a 25 acre park owned by the Shepherdstown Community Club. The Club is responsible for the capital improvements and many of the operating expenses. The Park is open to all during daylight hours for most of the year.

Located a short distance south of Shepherdstown, the Park is part of the Morgan’s Grove Historic District. Today, the Park is a popular spot for picnics, soccer leagues, and exercise area but the site has always played a role in the activities of Shepherdstown.

The Park includes a children’s playground, a professionally landscaped walking path, soccer fields, a covered pavilion and kitchen, barbeque grills, playground equipment, and picnic tables.

We are most fortunate to have Morgan’s Grove Park available to us but it is expensive to maintain the walking trails and other features that make this place so special in our community. Any donations are gratefully received and put to good use. You may make a donation online – just click the “Make a Donation” button below. We are a 501 c(3) non-profit company so your contribution may be tax- deductible.

Reserve the Facilities at Morgan’s Grove Park

With over 25 acres of shade trees, meadows, playgrounds, and spring-fed streams, this popular park serves as an idyllic site for community gatherings and events.

Park Facilities

  • 1500 square foot covered picnic pavilion
  • Full kitchen
  • Restroom facilities
  • playground equipment
  • soccer fields
  • horseshoe pits
  • .87 mile walking trail.

To rent a reserved space at the Pavilion for your event at Morgan’s Grove Park, fill out the form on this page.

Trash Free Park

Morgan’s Grove Park is following the Trash Free Parks method. Trash and recycling cans will be removed from our park.

A trash free program has many benefits, including:

  • Fostering a partnership between visitors and the park by encouraging people to take an active role in maintaining a trash-free park.
  • Encouraging people to adopt a carry in, carry out Leave No Trace principle.
  • Encouraging people to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
  • Reducing odors in the picnic area.
  • Increasing visitor safety by reducing the number of stinging insects, rodents, and other wildlife in the picnic area.
  • Allowing staff time and funds spent on trash collection to be applied to other projects and improvements within the park. (These projects include facility and grounds maintenance, and resource preservation.)
  • Reducing the amount of litter in the park.
  • Establishing a commitment to park sustainability and responsible park use that will carry on to future generations.

Please be prepared to dispose of your trash and recycling properly by carrying it out of the park when you leave.

Reservation Request

Reservation Deposit

Ash Trees

The emerald ash borer threatens the magnificent grove of 85 Ash trees in Morgan’s Grove Park, including the third largest green ash tree in West Virginia. It was first discovered in Michigan in 2002.

Local arborists, the Shepherdstown Community Club, and generous donors all worked together to treat and save the trees from the infestation. Trees are an integral part of the park. Their health adds to our health.

A Brief History of Morgan's Grove Park

1775
The land had gained fame, when in 1775, General George Washington issued a call for “Virginia Volunteer Riflemen,” to join him in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The troops, under Captain Hugh Stephenson, departed on July 16, 1775 from “Morgan’s Spring,” in what is now Morgan’s Grove Park on the famous “Beeline March” to Cambridge, covering 600 miles in 24 days. To commemorate this revolutionary war event, on September 17, 1988 Secretary of the Army, John 0. Marsh, Jr, along with the 249th Army Band and elements of the 3rd U.S. Infantry, dedicated a plaque commemorating the Revolutionary War Beeline March. In 1999 this site in Morgan’s Grove Park was entered into the National Register of Historic Places. Thirty-eight Revolutionary War veterans are buried in the surrounding area.
1864
By the time of the Civil War, the property the Park now occupies was the site of the home of Alexander Robinson Boteler, a member of the U.S. Congress and delegate to the Confederate Congress, who served on General Stonewall Jackson’s staff. During the war, this property and the lands around it were the scene of several skirmishes and encampments of both Confederate and Union troops as the two forces moved back and forth through the area. In 1864, Boteler’s mansion, named Fountain Rock on which now stands the Pavilion, was burned by the Union army.
1889
From 1889 to 1936, the old Boteler property served as the site of an annual Morgan’s Grove Fair. The most notable event at the fairgrounds occurred on September 6, 1900 when Democratic presidential candidate William Jennings Bryant spoke to a crowd estimated at 15,000.
1961
In 1961 the Club purchased 21 plus acres outside of Shepherdstown and named the new park area Morgan’s Grove Park after a prominent early settler who had lived on the property, Captain Richard Morgan.
1962 and forward…
An annual horse show from 1966 to the 1980s was part of the Fair on what is the now soccer field.

Starting in 1962 the Club has made continuous improvements to Morgan’s Grove Park – a Pavilion, kitchen, picnic facilities, athletic fields, a hiking/exercise path, children’s play ground – all for the enjoyment of Shepherdstown and its surrounding communities.