Morgan’s Grove Park History

1961

In 1961 the Club purchased 21 plus acres outside of Shepherdstown and named the new park area Morgan’s Grove Park after a prominent early settler who had lived on the property, Captain Richard Morgan.

1775

The land had gained fame, when in 1775, General George Washington issued a call for “Virginia Volunteer Riflemen,” to join him in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The troops, under Captain Hugh Stephenson, departed on July 16, 1775 from “Morgan’s Spring,” in what is now Morgan’s Grove Park on the famous “Beeline March” to Cambridge, covering 600 miles in 24 days. To commemorate this revolutionary war event, on September 17, 1988 Secretary of the Army, John 0. Marsh, Jr, along with the 249th Army Band and elements of the 3rd U.S. Infantry, dedicated a plaque commemorating the Revolutionary War Beeline March. In 1999 this site in Morgan’s Grove Park was entered into the National Register of Historic Places. Thirty-eight Revolutionary War veterans are buried in the surrounding area.

1864

By the time of the Civil War, the property the Park now occupies was the site of the home of Alexander Robinson Boteler, a member of the U.S. Congress and delegate to the Confederate Congress, who served on General Stonewall Jackson’s staff. During the war, this property and the lands around it were the scene of several skirmishes and encampments of both Confederate and Union troops as the two forces moved back and forth through the area. In 1864, Boteler’s mansion, named Fountain Rock on which now stands the Pavilion, was burned by the Union army.

1889

From 1889 to 1936, the old Boteler property served as the site of an annual Morgan’s Grove Fair. The most notable event at the fairgrounds occurred on September 6, 1900 when Democratic presidential candidate William Jennings Bryant spoke to a crowd estimated at 15,000.

1962 and forward…

An annual horse show from 1966 to the 1980s was part of the Fair on what is the now soccer field.

Starting in 1962 the Club has made continuous improvements to Morgan’s Grove Park – a Pavilion, kitchen, picnic facilities, athletic fields, a hiking/exercise path, children’s play ground – all for the enjoyment of Shepherdstown and its surrounding communities.